Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The end of my sewing machine... almost

As most of you know, I love all things about crafting.  Specifically, crocheting, knitting and sewing are my favorites.  I don't consider myself an expert at ANY of these crafts and they are listed in order of my experience above.  Well, I play around with selling items on Etsy and Artfire and received an order over the weekend.  To my dismay, it was an item I had already given to someone but forgot to take off my site.  A make-up bag.  This make-up bag is precious.  I loved it so much when I made it that I had to make one of myself too.  It is black with white polka dots and a teal silky lining.  Instead of returning the order, I decided that I would just make another one.  "How hard could it be?", I thought, since I've made two already.  I started the project off by cutting my finger with my rotary blade, ouch.  After a few more pricks from pins and no sympathy from my husband, it was time to start sewing.  At least, that's what should have happened.

The first sections go fine.  Everything is as it should be.  The machine running smoothly, the fabric and thread working seamlessly together.  The bag was looking beautiful.  Then, I decided to try something different.  I don't even understand what happened.  I just turned the knob that drops my needle one way instead of the other and my entire machine collapsed before my eyes.  I ended up having to take it apart four times trying to figure out how to fix it.  (Funny mental picture, I'm still learning how to work the basics of the sewing machine, yet I think I can fix a mechanical error!)  My heart is pounding.  I love my sewing machine.  It isn't the best out there but I love it.  In fact, it's a project runway model which, I have to confess, I bought with the intentions of mastering so I could go on the show.  I knew that the machine was done. Anyway, after about 2 hours of randomly blowing on important looking mechanisms, I have the machine up and running again.  I finished the sewing and turned it right side out to find a few spots that the machine missed.  That means I have to go in by hand and sew them.  I don't mind doing it, but it takes away the professional look from the bag. 

So, to keep an extremely long story relatively short, I should have just returned the purchase and saved myself a stressful night.

Here is a picture of the finished product.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me...can you bring your machine to my house? :)

    ReplyDelete